1. Choosing Food During Pregnancy
1) If you eat out often, you should choose meals that are rich in protein and eat plenty of vegetables.
2) Avoid foods that are high in sodium as they can cause preeclampsia.
: A lot of the most popular restaurant foods are salty. Excessive sodium consumption can be a cause of preeclampsia (pregnancy-induced hypertension).
*What is preeclampsia?
A condition in which swelling, increased blood pressure and proteinuria are experienced after the 6th month of pregnancy.
3) Opt for nutritious snacks (fruits, milk, walnuts and almonds).
4) Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals.
2. Healthy Snacks for Pregnant Women
Bananas are rich in vitamin B6, Vitamin A and betacarotene. The dopamine (a neurotransmitter) bananas generate can suppress morning sickness. But bananas are higher in calories than other fruits (80kcal per 100g).
Tomatoes are low in calories and good for fatigue relief and mood.
The lactic acid bacteria in yoghurt suppress the spread of harmful bacteria in the intestines, and discharge toxins from the intestines. Yoghurt is also good for the constipation experienced during pregnancy.
4) Steamed Sweet Potato and Pumpkin
Sweet potatoes and pumpkins are rich in fiber and can alleviate the constipation that is frequently experienced by pregnant women as the enlarged uterus presses against the intestines and hormonal changes take place.
Prunes are low in calories and rich in dietary fiber, calcium, iron and vitamins. They are a good source of nutrition and a constipation reliever for pregnant women.
6) Anchovies and Cheese
Anchovies and cheese are a good source of calcium for pregnant women that can be carried around easily and eaten as a snack.
※Some anchovies and cheese can be high in sodium. Opt for low-sodium anchovies and
First choice for folic acid and iron of Korean women in childbearing age (Kantar Worldpanel 2016):
Solgar Folic Acid:
- Solgar Folic Acid helps reducing pregnant woman’s risk of baby’s birth defect.
- Folic acid should be used when the moment when you plan for pregnancy.
Solgar Gentle Iron:
- Solgar Gentle iron has high absorption rate and no side effects which like constipation and stomach ulcers caused by iron.
- Solgar Gentle iron should be used from the third month after being pregnant.