An expecting mother should consume more calories than normal to ensure her own health and the sound development of her baby. But these additional calories should come from a healthy diet. Avoid foods that are high in saturated fat and refined sugar, and opt for those that are rich in protein, minerals and vitamins.
● Grains are a primary source of carbohydrates, which provide you with the energy you need to function in daily life. The glucose contained in carbohydrates is required for brain activity.
● Choose food made from whole grains over food made from refined grains, as the former contains more fiber and minerals.
2. Meat, Fish, Eggs, Beans
● Meat, fish, eggs and beans are excellent sources of protein, which makes up the flesh and blood in the human body. Sufficient protein intake helps to prevent disease. You must consume sufficient protein during pregnancy to ensure the development of your baby.
● Vegetables are rich in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals.
● The dietary fiber contained in vegetables is good for weight loss and can alleviate constipation.
● The vitamins and minerals in vegetables prevent fatigue and make the skin of pregnant women healthy.
● Pregnant women should consume green and colored vegetables more than once a day. Seaweed is also recommended, and should be consumed often.
● Like vegetables, fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. However, fruits are also rich in sugars. This means they have more calories than vegetables.
● The dietary fiber in fruits can also alleviate constipation. Red and yellow fruits contain carotenoids, which are excellent anti-oxidants, and flavonoids, which are anti-carcinogens.
5. Milk and Dairy Products
● Milk and dairy products are rich in essential nutrients such as calcium and protein, which make up the human body.
● Milk and dairy products give babies healthy bones and teeth.
6. Oils, Fats, Sugars
● Oils, fats and sugars are a source of energy and help maintain your body temperature.
● Oils and fats are added to most cooking, so you don’t need to go out of your way to consume them. Take care not to overindulge in sugars.
● Nuts that are high in unsaturated fatty acids, such as walnuts and almonds, are recommended.
● Water adjusts your body temperature and transports nutrients in your body.
● Water helps discharge wastes from your body.
First choice for folic acid and iron of Korean women in childbearing age (Kantar Worldpanel 2016):
Solgar Folic Acid:
- Solgar Folic Acid helps reducing pregnant woman’s risk of baby’s birth defect.
- Folic acid should be used when the moment when you plan for pregnancy.
Solgar Gentle Iron:
- Solgar Gentle iron has high absorption rate and no side effects which like constipation and stomach ulcers caused by iron.
- Solgar Gentle iron should be used from the third month after being pregnant.